Monday, October 14, 2013

2 years in!!

I admit it, I have really sucked at writing blogs over the past couple months. The 12th of October was our 2nd year in country. I still remember arriving at the airport in Dar 2 years ago about to burst into tears of fear and excitement. So what have I been up to since my last blog? Late July into mid August I was in my village finishing up teaching about HIV to my secondary students and starting on pregnancy, reproductive system, puberty etc. I did some lessons at the village clinic about personal hygiene and good nutrition, I also worked on some lessons/posters for the nurses to teach and display while I would be out of the village. I finished up our 2nd round of Zinduka graduating another 25 students (http://www.grassrootsoccer.org/),  if you would like to know more about Zinduka, that's the link. My counterpart and I started an anti-corruption team at the secondary school.It was really awesome to see how many students were interested in coming and also the responses we go on the day we separated into teams and debating about various topics. Then in mid August school was going on a break so I did some traveling with a couple other volunteers. We went to Rwanda first, a very modernized, CLEAN city. They have really made headway since the genocide.  We checked out a genocide museum that was very well put together,it really stuck with me when I left.So many people died for such arbitrary reasoning.
After Rwanda we went to western Tanzania and spent some time in Mwanza, what a beautiful city! Rolling rocky hills overlooking Lake Victoria, beautiful sunsets...not so nice people but we got by just fine.From Mwanza we went to South Beach Resort for out COS (close of service) conference.  We had daily sessions about what to expect after peace corps, reverse culture shock, resume writing etc. I have to admit it was really hard to sit through some oft he sessions knowing there was a beautiful beach along with a pool and disco right outside. We were fed so well I know we all left a little more round and very happy. Then I went to Zanzibar with 2 girls and we went humpback whale watching, it was awesome...whales are amazing, huge creatures.
Since then I have been back at my site (we aren't allowed to travel  the last 90 days of our service) We also cant start any new projects so I have been trying to really enjoy the remaining time I have with the villagers (1 month from today!!!!) It has been to years!! The longest, toughest but yet most rewarding experience I have ever had. "Peace Corps, the toughest job you'll ever love." SO TRUE.
Now I am applying for jobs like crazy ( when the electricity in town is actually working), trying to figure out whats next, its scary not to know!I just have to breathe in, breathe out, try not to freak out and take it a day at a time.... and hope I dont have to live with my parents the rest of my life =)
Until next time!!!!
<3 Maria

1 comment:

  1. you are a ROCKSTAR!! congratulations on completing your two years! xoxo, francine

    ReplyDelete