Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Making myself more competitive? While waiting.

Well since I am waiting and waiting and...waiting..(lol) I decided to (try) and kick the RAS by making myself more competitive.  My major was Criminology and my nomination is HIV/AIDS awareness, so I didn't have much experience with the subject. I knew all the basics and  decided to step up my game. My recruiter informed me that I was required to volunteer doing HIV outreach/awareness volunteer work for 3 months before I leave.I have been volunteering like crazy with all sorts of different organizations, while loving every second of it...so I am happy with my nomination. I have been doing HIV test counseling,volunteering at a food pantry for HIV/AIDS patients, attending meetings at OSU about clinical trials on new medications,volunteering at various outreach events around the city and volunteering at the  Family AIDS Clinic and Educational Services at Children's Hospital. I had to e-mail placement this week about the volunteer work I have been doing, so I'm hoping all of this will make me more competitive. However, if for some odd reason I get rejected as a PCV I will continue volunteering and possibly go back to get my Masters in something related. I had no idea I had such a passion for this type of work. That is all for now, hopefully I will be hearing about medical clearance soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hey - just stumbled across your blog update on PC Journals. Are you in Columbus? I'm an OSU student. Nominated for Sub Saharan Africa, July, teaching English. Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Where did you end up? I have been in Tanzania for about a yr and a half!

      Delete