Saturday, October 15, 2011

First couple days in Tanzania

The 7 hour  flight from NY to Amsterdam was fine. I stayed up and drank wine with a couple girls and watched movies etc. The 10 hour flight from Amsterdam to Tanzania went by fairly quickly...I slept about 7 of the 10 hours.. We were all delirious and sweaty but managed to get through a short session on safe water and the next days schedule then we crashed. We are staying inside a fairly large, really pretty Catholic compound. There are so many awesome plants and interesting bugs. My fav is a tree with yellow flowers growing on it.The staff is all great and there are 2 current PCVs here to answer questions and help with the training overview. They are both amazing. Tomorrow, after we get more shots,we are going out in Dar to explore the Peace Corps office and do a little shopping. Tuesday we go to our host families and start the 9 weeks of intensive training. I doubt I'll have Internet access very often if at all those 9 weeks so letters letters and more letters =).We had a survival Swahili class today basically so we are able to have some communication with our host families...it's still going to be awkward but pretty awesome...... I am excited to meet them. I am updating my wishlist.... apparently the first 2 packages I get while in training the PC covers the fees on.I could really use some bicycle shorts and more wet ones/baby wipes whatever kinda wiped you want. Just try to sent stuff in padded envelopes under 4 pounds or Ill have to pay massive fees when picking up the packages.

I have had some crazy vivid dreams since taking the malaria pills...they dont make any sense but they seem so real they stick with me. I could tell you every detail of them. I am so very tired I am going to go eat dinner then sleep.Oh yea, I washed my clothes by hand today for the first time. It seemed like no matter how much I rinsed there was stil a layer of soap on them ha.
Ill keep you posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment