Saturday, October 29, 2011

First couple weeks in Tanzania

I dont even know where to start!! Lets see about 10 days ago I was dropped off at my homestay family. I was super nervous but they are so so awesome. There is no electric or running water and a banana,orange,papaya and avocado tree in my backyard. Right outside my bedroom window there is an amazing tree with pink flowers. My Mama is one the the happiest, relaxed people I have ever met. We are always singing and dancing together. She is pretty good at the thriller dance. My baba (dad) is a farmer and is really chill as well. We have a lot of laughs together daily....usually about me trying to speak Kiswahili. One night  tried to say  I was going to brush my teeth but accidentally said I was going to fight someone. Then I have a little kaka (brother) He is the cutest 9 yr old I have ever met. His smile can light up a room. I also have 2 dadas (sisters) One is 20 and is a nurse, just like my best friend! They help me with the language a lot and teach me how to cook, clean and o laundry TZ style. I went with my kaka to get water yesterday and carried the bucket back on my head....everyone got a huge kick out of that. Oh and I went to the neighbors and fed a monkey an orange. Think Aladdin. Apparently the monkey then got eaten by a dog...sad.

Training is very intense. We have 8 hour days of language learning, other days we have technical training. I am picking up on the language more and more everyday. I have training with 3 other PCTs that are staying in the same village as me. They are all really awesome and our LCF (language and culture facilitator) is the best. We really lucked out. On certain days we go to the training center and we get to see everyone. I love those days, its like a family reunion. I Just got a cell phone my number is 078597 4834. Plus the country code, Ill let you figure that out since I dont have much time.
I think I am finally getting used to bucket bathing....the 1st morning I was standing outside inclosed in a topless hut made of bamboo bating from a bucket was the time it really hit me....wow I am in Africa and this is my life now. Once I talked to everyone else they had the exact same moment. Like I said training is tough but it's already flying by and before I know it Ill be finding out my site & where Ill be the next 2 years. I just need to get down the language and pass the tests. In 2 weeks after our mid training test we are going to a swanky beach resort for a weekend....just the volunteers. That will be great.
Oh and this month is apparently one of the hottest. I wake up and go to bed sweating but I know I can handle it. I think this is all for now.
I'll keep you posted,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment