Sunday, November 13, 2011

Meow

Hey!!! It's been awhile. Right now me and the other 40 PCTs are on our  beach vacation. Its so amazing here, We are in Pangani at a place called Mkoma Bay. The view is breath taking. The Indian Ocean is amazing and warm like bath water and the pool, bar and bungalows are like living in luxury for us! I was walking to my room yesterday afternoon and there wee like 12 monkeys just chilling on the lawn, some with little babies latched on. It was so cool.

 This vaca is much deserved though. The past 4 weeks have been so intense...think 8 hour days of leaning KiSwahili in100 degree weather.A PCTs have been sick and a couple have gone to the hospital ( I have been lucky so far) but everyone is better for now! Learning about the Tanzanian health problems and cultural differences. A lot of the time someone will die from a "stomach ache or malaria" but they really had AIDS. HIV/AIDS work is going to be challenging.  Training is intense but we are doing it and doing it well. Friday before we left for the beach we had out midway written exam, next Friday we have the oral exam....I am a little nervous. In 2 weeks we shadow another volunteer at their site for about a week, VERY excited for that and right before that we find out our site announcements-aka where I'll be for the next 24 months of my life!! Homestay is going well, I am getting used to handwashing my clothes, pooping in a hole and cooking with a Jiko. I am adjusted to bucket bathing , I actually l prefer bucket bathing under the stars in the roofless bamboo hut. I also adjusted to not having electricity and running water fairly quickly.

here is my typical day
630am bucket bath
7am breakfast- usually bread and tea
8am class
1030-11am chai break
130-lunch-rice beans, pumpkin leaves
5pm-go home study/help with dinner/play with the kids
8pm-dinner
830-9pm bed

On that note I love chai breaks!! I cant imagine going back to the states and not having the snack & tea /coffee  mid morning. Well this is all for now. I think I am going to take another dip in the Indian Ocean and have a few more beers before we head back to training/homestay. PS. I was swimming in the waves all weekend and haven't gotten hurt!!
I do have tons of pics to upload but that will have to be another time
-I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment